Monday, August 24, 2015

When in Doubt, "Ask Amy"



When in doubt, ask Amy.



What do I mean by this? Well…the decision of traveling has been weighing on my head, and stressing me out, because it’s a huge decision to make.  I’ve just been contemplating a lot…so I took matters into my own hands (once again).



Today began like any other.  At work, I take a break mid-morning to check out my daily horoscope and to read my favorite column, “Ask Amy”.  I’m a dork…I like my horoscopes, and Amy’s column is always so interesting to me.  I like reading her advice.  It’s always straight forward and to the point.  She doesn’t sound rude ever, but inquisitive and helpful.  I genuinely love the advice, because often times it can be used in similar situations or you can remember it for another time.



Anyway…today I was reading my horoscope just like any other, and followed that by, “Ask Amy”.  Here’s an excerpt from today’s “Denver Post”.

Ask Amy: Recent college grad fed up with job (8/24/2015)

By Amy Dickinson

The Chicago Tribune



(Posted: 08/24/2015 12:01:00 AM MDT)



Dear Amy: I am one year out of college and I don't think I can take my job much longer. When I was 10 years old, if you had asked me where I wanted to work, I would have said Corporation X - it's a dream company, and that's where I work! But, ugh - after a year of working 14- to 18-hour days, five to six days a week, for $10.50 an hour, I am exhausted and still living paycheck to paycheck.  Here's the kicker, though: I might work an 18-hour shift, but I will only be given three hours of work to do. The rest of the time I just sit at my desk and wait.  When I do have something to do, I love my job! Honestly, if my job paid better, gave me benefits, I worked normal hours and they constantly had work for me to do, it would be the perfect job.  What should I do? Should I stick it out for a few more years in hopes of getting slightly more reasonable hours? Or should I call it quits and cut my losses and try to get into a graduate program in search of a new career path? ~ Exhausted



Dear Exhausted: Your best course of action is to use your extra 15 hours of time during an 18-hour shift in a way that will improve your experience at work - and impact your future.  Notify your supervisors of your capabilities. Pitch ideas for ways you could be more productive and useful to the company. Be proactive. It's your life. Take charge of it. If you feel certain you have exhausted opportunities at Corporation X (or if you simply don't want to work there any longer), leverage your employment at this company into a job at a company that will value you more and compensate you better. Whether you take another job or decide on graduate school (or both), don't leave until you have something else lined up.

When I read today’s column, it made me think…Ask Amy.  Since this has been a complicated decision for me, and although my friends and family have voiced their thoughts, I still haven’t been able to figure out what to do.  It really comes down to the job situation; quit and travel or be responsible and have another job set up before I go? Amy told this person to have something else lined up before they move on, in a way the advice works for me too, but.… What did I do? I asked Amy.


Dear Amy: I've been out of college and working in the "real world" for five years now.  I enjoy my job, and love where I'm working.  Lately however, I've been feeling restless, and I have determined that it's time for me to move on to something new.



While I'm in this transition trying to determine my next move, its reawakened how much I've wanted to travel.  With work and vacation time, it's not given me the opportunity before.  I'd like to maybe take a month and explore some of the world.  Is that a bad idea? I'd love to have another job lined up and travel between one ending and a new one starting, but another part of me wants to quit and travel, then come back and figure things out.  At the risk of being irresponsible I'm at a loss of what to do.



My parents don't think I should travel at all, but all my friends say the time is now and that we have our whole lives to work.  What should I do?  What if a new job falls into place and there isn't any time to travel?  Or what if I land a job and have the trip paid for; would they be willing to still hire me?  Thank you. ~ To Travel or Not To Travel

It’s a perfectly good question(s).  I just need an unbiased answer, straight and to the point.  So, if you have one, feel free to leave a comment.  I will take any advice on this future endeavor… I’ll of course let you know if she responds, puts the question in the paper itself, or if I do decide a confirmed decision myself.  In the meantime…I’m just stressed; so stressed…



Part of me would love to be discovered.  “Let’s choose that girl Jenn to be our next big star!” rings out in my head, with hopes that TLC or some other cable network would like to follow me around the world with cameras.  I’d have my own reality television show, and thinking on that idea, has me really liking it.  I want my experience to inspire others.  We as humans tend to put limits on ourselves; whether it’s paying bills or working to live…it’s a lot of stress being an adult.  I want people to know that they can do whatever they want, and that it’s never too late.  I want to explore, see, discover new cultures and places; and I want people to do the same. 



My mom has always wanted to be a writer.  She has always loved reading, literature, and writing, but when she graduated from high school, college wasn’t on the minds of many.  At the time, Davenport, Iowa was a small town.  It’s now since grown…quite a lot, but when she graduated she wasn’t able to go to college.  The abilities of obtaining scholarships and financial aid weren’t like they are today.  So…she gave up on that dream.



It breaks my heart! I tell her, you should write.  If you want to write, write.  Send your novel out to companies, and I bet you could get published! It’s never too late to achieve your dreams.  I want her and others to know that.  As crazy as it is to travel alone, I’m looking forward to when I can.  I’m looking forward to that chance.  I want everyone to see that the time is now!



Even if TLC doesn’t accept my pitch (that’s right, I auditioned for them)…I hope that this blog can help awaken someone.  I also hope that when I do travel, that I’m able to fill this blog with photos, experiences, stories, and adventures.  I know I’ll have to conquer a lot; from navigating around places by myself, to eating meals alone…and I know I may even cry, but I don’t care! At least I’ll know I’m living.



Rachel Platten – “Fight Song”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1VInw-SKc

This song rings out as today’s life song.  Enjoy.



If you’re reading this, know that you too can do whatever you want.  Don’t limit yourself.  Don’t tell yourself any excuses.  I want you to know, that even if I haven’t met you, that you’re an incredible person.  You truly are.  So, look into yourself and discover your hearts calling.  No matter how far you run or try to ignore your true calling, eventually it will ring out loud! Listen to those voices and do what makes you happy.  You have one life to live, make it an epic one.  You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment