Thursday, August 13, 2015

There's an APP for That!

Today is a lighthearted, happy-go-lucky kind of day and so is this post.

Who had tasty sweet corn at 10:45 AM this morning?! – This girl right here. LOL! That's right. While I'm sure many family's cook their corn this way...mine does not and so when my boss cooked corn (in the microwave) I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it worked.

Most Summer's my dad will grill and we'll cook corn in tin foil on the grill or my mom will steam it over the stove...but today at work, my boss took corn (which was dropped off to the front door of the station in a huge, huge bag from a local farmer) and cooked it in the microwave.

WHAT TO DO: He took the corn and placed the entire thing, husk and all, into the microwaved and heated it for 2:30 minutes. Once the corn was done, he cut off the end, and slid the corn out of the husk removing all those annoying “corn hairs”. Ta-da! Easy as that! Bing, bang, boom, your corn is cooked and ready to eat.

My boss turns to me and goes, “Here you go Jenn So! A nice snack!”

While I start munching on my corn, I proceed to tell my boyfriend all about it, and he proclaims laughing, “My mom cooks corn that way all the time!”

What?... I know I may not be up with the times on cooking corn, but for those of you, who find this remotely amusing, you're welcome! Try it out the next time you want to eat corn on the cob.

* * * * * * * * * *

Something else that I've been pondering this morning...is still the trip I've been planning. This trip is big, and there are a lot of things to think about, but I've come to a conclusion to help me make my decisions. Sometimes...it's better to leave it up to chance, by either flipping a coin or...in my case (because there is an app for everything nowadays) turn to your trusty magic 8 ball. I bet you thought you'd never hear that again!

Raise your hands!! Who had a “Magic 8 Ball” growing up!? I did!! Mine was PINK! LOL...

Question: Should I go on my trip in the future? (Shake phone for result) Answer: Probably. – I asked again, and it said, “It's FATE!”

Question: Should the first half of my trip be a mother/daughter adventure? (In recent weeks, my mom has expressed an interest to go on this trip with me...even though it's supposed to be a “solo travel adventure”...I'm open to the idea...) Answer: Maybe. – While...that's an okay answer, that's already something I knew, so I asked again for hopefully a more concrete answer. It said, “Only time will tell.” – (I'm beginning to see why this is not the best way to make decisions...) Hmm...I asked for a third time, thinking “Come on, give me a solid answer.” It said, “Definitely.”

Question: Should my “solo trip” say “solo”? (Thinking...let me re-praise this question.) Answer: Definitely.

Great!! Wonderful!! Just to be sure I asked... Question: So, should my mom go with me on the first part of my trip or no? Answer: Maybe. – By this point I want to shout, “You're killin' me smalls!!” LOL! … So, I asked one final time, “Yes or no? Should my mom go with me on the first part of my trip?” It said, “NO.”

Cool! Now, while some may say, “Jenn you just kept asking until you got the answer you wanted.” In a way...I can see that, but I really didn't. The first time it said, “Maybe” and then “Only time will tell” and then it said, “Definitely.” However, when I asked my next question on whether I should do this “solo trip”, it said, “Definitely”, which made me seek further clarification. Giving me another “Maybe,” and causing me to ask one final time... It finally answered with, “NO.” (To making the first part of the trip a mother/daughter adventure.)

To confirm the now determined answers let's flip a coin. (FIRST time tosses only!)

Heads or Tails. Should I go on my trip in the future? Heads yes, tails no. Result: Heads.

Heads or Tails. Should my mom come with me on the first part of my trip? Heads yes, tails no. Result: Tails.

Heads or Tails. Should my “solo trip” stay “solo”? (This time we'll switch it up) Tails yes, heads no. Result: Tails. – I asked this question four times, and the result was tails three times out of four.

This post is taking a bit longer than normal to write, since I was literally asking the “Magic 8 Ball” and flipping that coin for answers to my questions... I know I can be silly. Some decision's are tough for me to reach, and others are so easy! I feel really good about these results and answers, because it confirms in my mind that I'm not crazy, that this “solo travel adventure” is FATE.

* * * * * * * * * *

I've been having some feelings today too...just moments where I find myself more in tune with the energy around me, the emotions of others and the environment, and the feeling of my heart beating in my chest... I've made the decision to travel a few weeks ago, and the trip has formed into place quite well...all I have to do is basically commit. I want to commit so bad...but there are some last questions to consider. (Enter “Magic 8 Ball”...again, and this time...FIRST time answers only!)

Question: Should I travel between jobs? Answer: Perhaps.
Question: Should I quit my job to travel and then look for a new job when I get back? Answer: It's FATE!

I would rather have another job set up, before I travel...that way I can travel between jobs, but if I quit to travel, I know that, that's okay too. It's something I'll have to think about more, between now and committing to the trip. Since I've decided that I do want to travel (tentatively set for March 2016 sometime) I've found myself feeling a little nervous and scared. Although, excitement of adventure and the drive to see the world and other cultures has been the overpowering factors, there's a small part of me who...does indeed feel nervous and scared. It's probably due to my parents and specifically my dad who said I'm “too trusting” or that I “don't have enough street smarts.” I don't know, but what I do know, is despite those feelings and thoughts, the excitement of travel conquers all. I really do want to do this, and I truly believe I'll learn a lot about myself and what I'm capable of. (Note my “Be Dauntless” blog post.)

Today...I had a moment earlier where I felt content. I mean, I always feel content, but...at work. I've been here for quite some time, and I had this moment where I felt like this office is mine. This desk is mine, this chair is mine, and that phone is mine... I can't explain it, but it finally feels like...I almost, kind of, sorta, maybe belong here...kind of. I still want to move on to a new career adventure too, but for now...it's a good feeling to have.

There's still a lot to think about, but at least I know I'm heading in the right direction; keep on keeping on! LOL! Just stay positive and keep moving forward.

Keep. Moving. Forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment