Monday, April 13, 2015

Life Changes in an Instant

Scene opens on a girl sitting in a park. She's not doing anything in particular, just sitting on a bench, enjoying the warm sun hitting her skin. A cool breeze of the air brushes across her face. The sounds of birds are chirping, and the distant sound of children playing on the playground near by echo ever so faintly. To anyone walking around the nearby lake, she looks like any other happy-go-lucky 27-year-old...

One of these days, perhaps I'll write a book. My mind is always flowing with conversations and snip-its of scenes, ideas...but inspiration doesn't always hit. Sometimes, you just need to type and see what comes out. Just like the paragraph above.

My background is in theatre, this is true. I'm most myself on stage, in front of an audience. The adrenalin that is felt when I'm performing is the most amazing feeling ever. I love the nervous feelings I have before that opening scene, where you're about to embark on another live performance of a show that you've rehearsed tirelessly for months. That initial, “Oh, gosh, don't forget your lines,” or the “Here we go! God, bless this show,” thoughts...the thoughts that you're about to do something unforgettable. That's what I love. Despite those slight nerves, the trust you have with your cast gets you through everything.

Whenever I perform, I fall more and more in love with theatre, allowing the emotions of the character and the world of the play take over. It's magical.

The acting world is very close. I feel like it is anyway. Take Denver for example. There are so many theatre companies and ways to do what your love and to continue working on your craft. Eventually, the more involved you get, the more you run into familiar faces, and the more connections you make. It just makes the whole theatre community seem so close.

What if you were a part of the community, and what if you're not able to be part of it again?

Perhaps that's what that girl on the bench was thinking... Hmm... I have a really good friend, and she's super talented. I met her the first day of class at the University of Northern Colorado, in Orientation to Technology, or O-Tech as we called it. She became one of my best friends at UNC until she transferred to Colorado Mesa University to continue in their acting program.

You're probably thinking, “Why should she not be able to be part of the acting community again?” Well, the reason, is she was recently in a bad accident. She moved out to LA, and had been out there for a couple years, I think, when one night she was driving home. She may have just gotten off work, or perhaps she was coming home from a night out with friends. Regardless, she was driving her SUV, and was heading down any normal street. The speed limit was 35 miles per hour...in this area; make a mental note of that.

It was March 10, 2015, probably around midnight, when my best friend was heading through a green light. Suddenly, she was struck by another car who was going highway speeds down this 35 MPH street. He ran the red light, and crashed right into my friend! He flipped her SUV, and caused her to roll on top of a parked car, and another van that was heading the opposite direction. The scene looked bad...they had to extract all the parties involved, and my friend...? She was in critical condition. The others involved, including the driver of the car who crashed into her, were in serious condition. It turned out this dude, was 19-years-old and probably had been drinking. Alcohol was suspected as a contributing factor.

My friend spent a little more than a week in the ICU, before she was transferred to recovery. Thank goodness she is going to be okay!! You always hear about these things in the news, but the moment you know someone involved in a DUI crash, it sparks a flame inside of you. That flame of anger, disgust, and pain for all involved. It's those flames that get me so fired up, that I just want to yell from the roof tops, “DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!”

My dear friend is doing well cognitively, thank goodness, but she suffered some major injuries, that will now make for a very long road, before she's healed. She remembers friends and most memories, but will have to learn to walk again, and the other simple tasks. I miss her. I wish I could be there to help her. All I can do is pray for a speedy recovery, pray that people think twice about drinking and driving, and pray for her to find the strength to get through the hardest days.

It's been a little more than a month since the accident. My friend is still at the hospital, and will be for awhile...I tried to call her Saturday, and instead I was left in tears, when she didn't want to talk to me. It's dumb, I know...because she's going through a lot, and she may not want to talk right now. That's fine. I didn't cry because she didn't talk to me, but because I felt helpless. I wanted to give her happiness, I wanted her to know that I am praying for her. I know she doesn't want people's pity, but I want her to know that she's strong. She can make it through anything. I know it. You would too if you knew her. She's the, “I don't take crap from anybody!” kind of person. She's a free spirit, filled with so many dreams, goals, and love for anyone she encounters.

I write this to help myself make sense of my mind, but also to tell her story. Maybe someone will stumble upon this and think twice before getting into the car after they've drank. Maybe this blog post will travel to my friend in the way of healing, and kind thoughts. Regardless, I am hopeful my friend will recover 100%, and no matter what life has in store for her, I'll always be here for her.

The theatre community will be here for her too...we're all anxiously awaiting her return to the stage. Her return to a place she loves so very much. Her return to her “home.” Get well soon, Jenna.

No comments:

Post a Comment