Thursday, April 9, 2015

Life. From Amazing to Sad and Everything in Between.

Life has the ability to change in an instant, the ability to be amazing and difficult, or exciting and sad. Life is many things, and surprising is certainly one of them.

Many years ago, I was a quiet and reserved 18-year-old...never really venturing out of my 20 mile radius on my own, until college in 2006. Sure, I traveled a great deal with family, and explored the world, cultures, and customs. I would say I'm adventurous, and if I had my way, and could travel at any whim, I would. Right now in fact. I'd pack up and leave, if it was customary and allowed to do in today's society. Who wouldn't right? Scotland, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, I want to see it all! A trip around the world please!

Anyway, I digress. Life is meant to be exciting, filled with adventure, memories with family and friends. Life is all about the experiences you have, that end up shaping who we are.

Now, this is where I'm at. Nine years of life experiences, jobs, relationships, and adventures. Nine years of life to shape me who I am today. I'm not that 18-year-old anymore. I'm a strong, independent, confident woman, who has a career, goals, and aspirations. I know who I am and who I want to be; what I want now and what I want to ultimately achieve. I won't say right now...because I don't want to jinx anything, but I know that it will happen. Life is mysterious that way, and that's just one of the ways it surprises you.

Speaking of surprises, lets think about another. This one more recent in my life...let's go back a few years, to that 18-year-old girl in college.

The year is 2006, and I'm beaming with excitement as I embark on a write of passage. College, and for some a time to finally break away from expectations or rules, maybe to rebel, maybe to find themselves. For me? To continue to live life to the fullest; no regrets, no cares, and no worries.

I was a theatre major and best friend was my roommate. The goal of the first semester was to just enjoy college, go to some parties perhaps, and to make some new friends. I met this one guy who became my first college boyfriend, and my first real relationship, outside of high school...and it was amazing. Life takes twists and turns, and the roller coaster goes up and down...things change, and people grow and change, especially in college. Needless to say...it ended, and I was left heartbroken.

That first year of college was a dozy...I experienced the whole spectrum of emotions, and it was only like six months in...but that's the thing about life. Sometimes you need to fall and crash, hit rock bottom, before you truly discover what you're meant to do, and who you're meant to be.

Fast forwarding now to 2015, nine years later. I ended up having a blast in college, and I find myself wishing I could relive those years, just for the community and the friendships you make. Friendships are another fun aspect of life. I have some from when my parents were friends with their friends, and now the kids are friends, to friendships with friends from pre-school and kindergarten...I pretty much hold on to all friendships; if possible. Yeah, I've let go of some, and rid myself of others...some people aren't meant to be there forever. Some come and go, and some come back into your life when you least expect it.

Take that thought for a moment. I bet you've experienced something like that. A friendship, you thought was lost forever, and suddenly that person surprises you with a message on Facebook and suddenly they're right back in your life, like they never left in the first place...? Well, that happened to me.

SURPRISE!!” Life shouts, just when you least expect it, “I'm about to throw your way something you won't believe to be true!”

PLOT CHANGE!!” I yell. Sometimes, when life throws curve balls, or in my case surprises you, you just have to yell, “Plot change!”, and move on. This plot change is a great one.

Remember the first boyfriend I had in college? Yeah...after things ended we remained friends, and then one day he just stopped talking. At first I was really confused. “Why did he stop talking to me? Did I do something wrong? Well...I know we hadn't talked in awhile already, but I thought we'd stay in each others' lives.” The thoughts that go through your head. I gave him space. I didn't contact him as much, and I eventually stopped trying to call or text or Facebook message...whatever. I decided to let it be. Just let it go...let it flow down the mountain stream, like a fallen leaf, and just don't think of it again. Until...this “plot change” moment.

The day is Tuesday, January 13, 2015. I'm hanging out at my apartment. I work in Radio Broadcasting now, and on this particular day...I decided to check Facebook see what my friends are up to. For a few days prior to this, I had been “poking” that old college guy I was telling you about, when suddenly, “Boo! Just give up, you won't win.” He messages me, out of the blue. Now, this banter was always in his nature. He likes to think he has won all the “poke wars,” but there are still some that he too has lost. (Shh...he'll say, “NO!”...but this is a never ending battle...between he and I.) Anyway, we begin talking, and talking, and we continue talking...about life now, what happened then, the experiences we've had, the moments that led up to this very moment. That “plot change” moment I keep talking about, where he just decided to say, “Hi.”

A moment I'm so thankful for.

We continue talking for days, and suddenly days, turn into weeks...I'm pretty sure I made a trip to Hong Kong for my cousins wedding, where I was out of the country for ten days. Even there, I got a Hong Kong SIM card to keep in touch with family over there via my cell phone, but it allowed me to keep in touch with him too. Smiling every time I got a message from him, excited to see type back as I responded to one of his... It just made me happy.

When we began talking again, I was thinking I'm reconnecting with a friend! I'm catching up, and just enjoying the moment. It wasn't until the 14 hour plane flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong, did I realize, “Hmm...I could be talking to him right now. I wonder what he's up to.” I can sometimes be quite analytical, and too stuck in my head, in my thoughts. When I was able to talk to him in Hong Kong, I realized something was different. I began thinking, “We're friends again, I'm sure...but what does he want? A friendship? Maybe he's just talking again, and maybe he'll leave again like he did before...” I didn't really know. All I knew was I was happy to be talking to him again, and I was happy to have reconnected. I was holding on to the conversation for as long as I could, but still was preparing myself for the moment where he would suddenly stop.

I know!! – Why think like that?! What happened to you happy-go-lucky attitude Jenn?! Well...I was just staying guarded. No one wants to get hurt again.

By the time I was flying home, I began feeling a crush starting. My mind was feeling like I was back in high school and the guy you had the biggest crush on finally looked at you, or noticed your existence. My mind and heart wanted him to feel the same way, but at the same time, I just wanted to continue talking.

Well, we continued talking, and we're still talking; morning to night, dawn to dusk, it seems 24/7! What began on January 13th is still going strong on April 9th. With...of course some changes. Some new developments, or more “plot changes.” LOL!

I'm happy to say that life continues to shine and bring happiness to my life. He came out to visit, and we had such a great time! Just to see him again!! Everything as seemed very different this time. I would say we're back together, and although he's in a different state...the whole long distance thing, seems to work. We communicate well, and when it's right, it's right. It'll work, and when the trust is there, there aren't any doubts. I'm not going to tell you it's easy, because things never are. I will tell you I'm happy and content in a way, I've never experienced before. I don't want this roller coaster to make any sudden stops.

I want to enjoy every moment.

Like I said in the very beginning... “Life has the ability to change in an instant, the ability to be amazing and difficult, or exciting and sad. Life is many things, and surprising is certainly one of them.”

I'll take all the plot changes that led to this moment again and again, if it meant reconnecting with this special guy I've been talking about today. My Andrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment