Monday, March 2, 2009

IMPROV!!! :)

I have always loved Improv. I love watching Saturday Night Live and Who's Line is it Anyway, as well as the local improv troupes that are at school. When I was in High School, I had the honor of being on the school's improv troupe. We had to audition to have the chance to be on it, and I was lucky to have that chance. I loved it! A lot of my friends were on the troupe, and we were all experiencing the art of improv together. I tried three times, before I made it, and when I finally made it, I was so excited.

Well, in college, I've had the opportunity to take an improv class. I've taken the Improv class that is offered here at UNC twice. I find that improv is very beneficial to acting and to being able to think on my feet. I feel confident that if I find myself on stage in a show, and an actor misses a line, I feel that I am able to recover, and move on by using improv. Improv simply is a tool that can be used in case something happens.

In one of my classes, Creativity in the Arts, we were asked to write our own improv skits. Well...thinking about that, is difficult, I'm not used to having something "SCRIPTED". I'm used to just going up there, getting a relationship or environment and having to deal. It's up to you to fill in the gaps. :) WELL...the week of Feb. 23rd to the 27th, we played improv games in class, with the local UNC Improv Trouple CHAOS. I had the pleasure of working with ERIC RITTER, on of Chaos' members in high school. That's right...he went to my high school and he was in the same improv troupe as me. Well, he was heading up this weeks "WORKSHOP" so, I was able to see him again and work on improv and getting better.

WHAT I LEARNED:

1) Don't ask questions
2) Always agree
3) Follow C.O.R.E (Character, Obejective, Relationship, and Environment)

MY CLASS IMPROV SKIT:

The environment is at a Hospital. The characters are Doctors who are rivals. The objective that I WANT is: I want to take over the hospital (which can also be my secret). The relationship is that we start out as rival enmies and we end up as happy colligues. The jist of my skit with my friend Andrea Romano, is that we are rivals...we go way back to college. I know that she's stolen my cure for restless leg syndrome, and that I know she cheated on her medical exams. She however, knows that I've stolen her husband and she has filled my room with Enema Balls. WE work on a patient discovering that the particular patient has jewels and a map in her stomach. The map leads to the Holy Grail. I end up telling her my plans, and we end up putting things aside and working together.

Other ideas can also be a patient/doctor or a girl who is affraid of the doctor. WE HAVE many ideas...and have quite a few to choose from for the day that we present our "skits" in class.

Improv is fun, and not mean to be taken so seriously. YES, remember the key "rules" but ultimately...you must just have fun!!! :)

I LOVE IMPROV!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment