Monday, March 23, 2009

What to Listen for in the World

Music is a very facinating thing. "Music intrigates the mind and body in a unique manner which often surprises non-musicians." This is an interesting quote, because people who play an instrument are used to how to read music and how to go about interpreting music. Some people who don't play instruments or who are non-musicians may just look at what they are listening to just a nice melody or something. Music intrigates the mind and body by it provokes thought, feeling, and emotion. Music is sometimes surprising on how it truly does impact the listener.

Yo-Yo Ma plays the Cello. I think he as a composer is phenomenal. I am the type of person who loves listening to classical music, instrumental music, I, in general love listening to it all. I listen to all music...just not punk rock, hard metal, or hard core rap...haha, I love my music to have meanings, and the songs or instrumental pieces have to draw me in, in some way. I want to connect to the music I listen too. What I like about Yo-Yo Ma, is the fact that he does fully connect all the time. He has a style about him while he plays...(from what I see on youtube and things) that I like. He plays some music from SWAN LAKE a ballet, and I find it breath taking. I absolutely love the music and Swan Lake is one of my favorite ballets ever!

"The relationship among ideas, images, words, and music is great fun to explore, and musicians are very playful in this regard." THAT is very true!! It's so fun to "disect" music...see if the music pants a sort of image. I LOVE the music in Bambi. YES...the Disney movie bambi. Whenever I hear the music, EVEN IF it's not along with the movie, I see the meadows or I see how the rain falls on the leaves of trees. It's facinating, because everyone has a different image in their heads. Everyone connects differently to music.

"Music, the mystery I know best, is my guide to thinking about other ocmmon mysteries in the world." :D

*quotes came from the WHAT TO LISTEN FOR IN THE WORLD, excerpt I read for class.

No comments:

Post a Comment