Monday, March 23, 2009

The Art of Composing...PAUL ELWOOD style!!!

Today, I had the pleasure of listening to a guest speaker who came into my class, Creativity in the Arts. It was very interesting to me, because he does a lot of composing using a banjo. I always think of composers as people who compose for the piano or a violen. I just never thought that so much could be done with a banjo, and honestly...of COURSE it can be done.

Paul Elwood, was the speaker who came into class, and he played his banjo along with some other music he composed. It was so neat!!! I really enjoyed listening to the music...it was not the typical music you would hear. It was like, music that is more contemporary, a little abstract, but the sound was brilliant. I sat there listening to him, in amazement. It was fascination. He has a program on his computer that allows him to do most of the manipulation that he does in his music, but it's just so neat to hear! I felt that today, what he played, sounded a little middle eastern to me. Almost had a vibe of music that people in India listen to. It had a sense of...an urban feel. It's hard to explain, but the music he played, was very intriguing. I kept trying to listen to the music, to see if I could hear maybe objects he used that may not be instruments. I just found his music, and him as a speaker interesting. He said that composing music is a lot of work, that it is hard. He'd rather grade loads of papers then compose music. He said that it's a lot of work for him, but that a deadline helps him stay under control and focused to compose what he needs. It's just interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment