Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Creative Style <3 ~Composition of Movement

Movement is the way we as humans communicate. We communicate through our body language. Everyone has a different way of expressing movement. Mary Wigman, author of a article I read called, COMPOSITION IN PURE MOVEMENT, said, "...the fundamental idea of any creation arises in me or, rather out of me as a completely independent dance theme."

I agree. I love dance, and I myself have danced since I was three and a half years old. I love how dance is so passionate, expressive, and powerful. There are so many different styles too, which I absolutely love seeing. I am in History of Theatre Two, and last semester, we learned about all the countries and theatre in those countries. Well, Africa, was one of the most interesting to me. Their style of dance, is so different, but it was their way of passing on the culture and history of their heritage.

Mary Wigman, also says, "Neitehr is my dancing abstact, in intention at any rate, for its origin is not in the mind. If there is an abstract effect it is incidental. On the other hand my purpose is not to "interpret" the emotions. Grief, joy, fear, are terms too fixed and static to describe the sources of my work." This is interesting. I feel like FOR ME, I'm the opposite. I very much dance the emotions and interpret through music how I feel. I dance how I feel. Yes, my dance isn't abstract either, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to dance abstractly. I think it's fun, to just dance different...using Modern dance or hip-hop, even jazz and ballet, tap! Dance is dance, it's an expressive form of movement.

DANCE IS MUSIC MADE VISIBLE!!! :)

I have studied a little of the LABAN system. It's so interesting...I worked on this show called, "4.48 Psychosis" and it was all about using repetative motions to express oneself. It's kind of abstract, at least the way I did it. It's a fun system or style to play around and experience with.

Mary also says, "Creative work will always assume new and varying forms." That is very true!!! Creative work is never a right or wrong way to a process of something. It's always changing, and morphing into something else. That's what I really enjoy. When I worked on 4.48 Psychosis, it was a total experience. WE were working with such an intense, abstract script! It was the suicide note of the playwright Sara Kane who wrote it. It was insane, and such a great experience; although hard and very dramatic, I learned a lot, and my composition of movement improved too! In the script, there were scenes where I HAD to come up with my own dance or movements to express the scene at hand. It always changed, I kept things I liked, and tossed things I didn't like. It was a process, but it was always changing.

It was a great experience...working on that show. I find that I'm more expressive now, and I am less scared to attempt to form my own dance piece. It's just great. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment