Sunday, February 1, 2009

We Become Our Names

Born for Stardom

Some people are born to be teachers, others are born to be doctors, and once in a while some special person is born to be our country’s Commander in Chief. I was born for stardom.

It all started at the age of three and a half. My mom put me into dance class in the hopes that I’d socialize with other kids my age. I’m an only child, and my parents were determined to teach me independence; not to expect to be handed life on a silver platter. I would say they succeeded. I am independent and very social. I had to work for things that I wanted. They were not ever given to me.

I realized that I was meant for stardom after 15 years of dance recitals and choir concerts. I realized that being in the movies, working in film and television was for me when I found out how I got my name: Jennifer Lynn So. I am named Jennifer after my dad’s favorite actress, Jennifer O’Neill. The name “Lynn” was given by my mother, after her own middle name. My last name embodies my half-Chinese heritage, of which I am proud.

When I was just six years old, I played the role of a reporter for a church function. It was the annual Christmas show, and I was interviewing Prince Charles. At that moment, I realized that I liked acting. In elementary school and middle school, I was more involved with theatre. It was an exciting activity for me, and something I loved. That passion continued to grow. By the time I reached college, I knew that I wanted a career in Film and Television.

I strongly believe that you become your name, and there have been many events over the course of my life, that have shown me that I am meant to be doing what I am doing. A persons name is their identity. My friend Rachel has a cat named, Sassy, and she tells me that Sassy gets even sassier as she grows. Names in the Chinese culture within a family have similarities. In the Chinese culture, your name is opposite that of America; your last name goes first and then your first name follows. My Chinese name is, So Tin Mei, which means Heavenly Beauty. The similarities I am talking about within a family are interesting. In my family all of my cousins, who are all girls, have a similar start to our names. We all start with So Tin, but then the ends of our names are different. My cousin Jessica is, So Tin Mun and my cousin Kyna is, So Tin Wai.

My Grandparents, on my dad’s side, gave me my Chinese name. When I was eight years old, I went back to Hong Kong with my parents for Christmas. I remember I was at my cousin Kyna’s apartment, and everyone was sitting out enjoying some Jasmine Tea after dinner, discussing what my name should be.

It was like a debate, everyone was sharing their thoughts and opinions, but it was not until my cousin Kyna said, “How about So Tin Mei,” did the discussion end.

“So Tin Mei,” said my Dad. “I really like it.”

My dad then thought about the name, and decided that it was perfect for me.

We become our names. I have met Will Smith, and I have seen Adam Rodriguez, Kal Penn, and Eva Longoria. It was 2008, and one of the biggest Presidential elections was underway. I saw Adam, Kal, and Eva at a rally speaking for Obama. At the time, I had no idea who I was going to vote for, but I was listening to everyone and their sides of things, so that I may finalize my choice. About a month later, Will Smith was in Denver, promoting his movie, “Seven Pounds” and my friends and I drove down to where the event was being held, and we were able to see him. A couple of my friends drove down earlier, and were able to get free passes to see the movie; I on the other hand got down there later with my friend Sue, and we were unable to see the movie. However, we did get a picture taken with Will Smith, as well as an autograph. I realized in those two moments, where the glance of this other world was in sight, that I knew my dreams were going to come true. It was a strange feeling deep within my heart. It was a strong sense that I am on the right path.


I am determined to make it in film and television, and it is events like the rally, the promoting of the movie, and the fact that I’m named after an actress; that I embrace to help me succeed. I am becoming my name, an actress. Each component of a name builds you as a person. Each part of your name represents importance. It’s just up to you to discover who you are meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment