Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sweet Art Exhibits!!!

I absolutely love art galleries, exhibits, museums...I love to look at an art piece and try to find my own meanings. The summer of 2007, I went to New York for one month. I did a summer program at the now, Dramtic Conservatory for the Arts, School for Film and Television. It was a one month summer intensive program on Commercial Study, Scene Study for Film and Television, Shakespeare, Stage Combat, Michael Chekhov Acting Technique, and Voice Overs. Well, although class were like a normal job 9-6pm, it was an amazing program, and I now know that ultimately it's film and television that I want to do with my life.

I'm digressing though..haha, what I want to say, is that on weekends I spent it exploring around the city. One weekend I went to the METROPOLITAN ART MUSEUM. I spent like the majority of the day there!!! I just went and looked at everything! They had art from every era. I loved the contemporary art exhibit. I love looking at modern art. I just...really enjoy things that you have to figure out. Like, one of my most favorite plays is, WAITING FOR GODOT, by Samuel Beckket. That play is quite interesting. Two people are waiting for Godot, but you never actually see him...he doesn't ever show up. It's just a play about the day by day same way of life, the same mundane activities to pass time...hoping that it's the day he shows up.

At the University of Northern Colorado where I am currently a student, there are a couple galleries that show off the artwork of local artists, but mostly students artwork. TODAY there are two exhibits that I actually went to see.

THE FIRST ONE:

GENE HOFFMAN "Pick of Litter"

The artwork in the gallary was amazing. The pieces seemed to be all made out of plastic, metal, wood. The way they all turned out were just amazing. There was one that I really enjoyed and it was called, "Plastic Indian Spirit" made entirely of plastic. IT was very intricate. Made of bright bold colors; it's really neat how there is so much pieced together in it. All the pieces are very well done. I am amazed how evertying is so detailed and made out of something so minimal, yet it all looks so amazing! My favorite piece in this exhibit was the OGRE WHO ATE CLOCKS, made out of wood, metal, and plastic. It was an actual grandfather clock style with what almost looks like a dragon in it. It was very neat looking, because at the same time, it was like the grandfather clock was his body, and the inside workings of a clock was the insides of the Ogre. It was just really cool.

THE SECOND ONE:

The students whose artwork was in this exhibit was encouraged to look for ordinary and unusual materials and combine in ways that could produce unexpected results. Some pieces are a clear idea others are expressed in a different way. They are collected to dictate the direction the piece took. People need to be open to many meanings. This was a very neat exhibit. Some objects combined nature with technology. Others were formed out of all things that were found. One piece that stood out to me was a blue foot locker filled with plastic tags all numbered and all sorts of numbers, and in the middle of the box was a skull of a cow or some animal. To me it represented all the cattle that are killed daily for food and other things. Another piece that I thought was really cool, was a windmill that was made out of a floor heater and wood. In the middle of the windmill and the base that was the old floor heater was a red knob. It was one of those knobs that you have outside on the side of your house that controls how much water is let out at a time through the hose so that you can water your yards. It was interesting to see the concept that the artist took. It was just an amazing gallery.

Every month there are new exhibits that open in the two galleries that are at my school. I enjoy walking through them, because they're usually really neat concepts and the artwork is stuff that I would never think of developing. It's just great...but I think that I also enjoy it so much, because I myself am an artist...theatre...film, I enjoy the arts! ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment