Sunday, April 12, 2009

Signs of Imagination :)

Thomas Turino from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, wrote this article on: Signs of Imagination, Identity, and Experience: A Peircian Semiotic Theory for Music.

I read it for my Creativity in the Arts class at UNC, however, it was a really long article, and I didn't want to print it off and waste trees and ink, so I read it online over the Library reserves, and wrote this blog on it.

Thomas, has in this article, laid out the components he believes provokes emotional musical composition. The process sounds very detailed and in depth.

"Semiosis involves a type of chaining process through time in which the
interpretant at one temporal stage becomes the sign for a new object at the
next stage of semiosis, creating a new interpretant which becomes the next
sign in the next instant, ad infinitum until that "train of thought" is interrupted
by another chain of thought, or by arriving at a belief or conclusion" (Torino 2).

Thomas, looks at other people and kind of discusses what they say as well, and it helps make his point = his research!! haha. The quote above is just saying that the process of interpreting the "chains" in the creative process is one way of arriving to a single thought...that could be used in a understanding the emotion of thought for the power of music.

To him, "Music involves signs of feeling and experience rather than the types of mediational signs that are about something else." In a way, I kind of agree. I mean, music is esentually feelings, otherwise people who listen to the music don't have "connections" to the songs. I believe that music is also experences...where he differs, because good songs come from real live experiences. I've always been told to write what I know, and in music...I believe that's what makes music emotional.

Thomas Torino's article, is very well written, and has a lot of research and examples to back up what he is saying. It sounds somewhat complicated at times, and to me, I feel that signs of imagination are different for every person. I don't think that there is a one way of preceieving things. His article was interesting...long...but interesting, and although I disagree on some things, it was a different view on imagination, and I liked seeing another interpretation.




No comments:

Post a Comment